Friday, August 21, 2015

Comparative Agility

Adopting Agile / Scrum in your team and organization can be a challenging task. However, with the help of servant leaders with good understanding of Agile principles and practices, your team can adopt a process that works well for you. Once you've established a process however, things can get monotonous. One of the tools I recommend using to help you break the monotony, and try to move forward with something new is Comparative Agility.

Comparative Agility is a survey with questions about your Agile practices. The survey takes about a half an hour or so, and I found the results to be really useful. I recommend one of the following two approaches - take the survey on your own and share the results in a retrospective; or possibly, take the survey collectively as a team in a retrospective, and talk about the results. 

When I took the survey, I was interested in knowing how my team was doing in our effort to adopt Scrum. I also wanted to know where I could help focus my team's attention in our efforts for continuous improvement.

The results definitely brought some of our shortcomings into focus. I could then engage the team in a conversation about why we should concentrate on areas where the survey says we are lacking; and think about what roadblocks we have along that path. I could also use the data to inform our leadership team to help us on our path to adopting Agile.

I found the survey questions and results really useful. I'd definitely recommend taking the time to do this activity.

Here are some results from my team:

Dimension Analysis:
Characteristics Analysis:


Rate this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment